The next step in our project was to get an estimated cost of
all the equipment, withdraw the money, and purchase the equipment. Because
bartering is such a big part of buying anything in Malagasy markets, Feno and I
decided that it would be best if I stayed at home for the days that they went
out to get an appraisal and buy the items in order to save money. This was
because we had learned that if vendors saw that Feno or the other NGO members
were with a white foreigner, they would instantly increase their prices.
Luckily, the NGO had an electrician who knew the best places to look for
quality and lowest prices.
The next day, the electrician came back with great news – all
of the materials we needed (Panel, wires, light bulb, light switches) could be
bought locally for about 2million ariary (around $700 dollars), and he even met
someone with much more experience in solar than us who made sure we knew how to
assemble everything properly.
With our estimated prices, I thought the hard part of buying
the goods was over. Little did I know, withdrawing the money would be a lot
more difficult than I had expected. We made multiple phone calls and ended up
going to 4 different banks across Tana before we were finally able to withdraw
the money.



Comments
Post a Comment