We had multiple coding projects. We taught teachers, 5th standard students, and hostel girls basic programming through the software scratch. The goal for each group was to make the cat (scratch) dance. This was very user friendly, I’m a history major and can tell you I do not know how to code, but this program was more centered on fun-game-like activities that even I understood it.

5th standard boys listening to instructions
It was endearing seeing one of the teachers excited in making her cat move, I saw her dancing a little bit and she was very flustered when I caught her. We are thinking of expanding coding for next year, possibly having a coding day and creating some curriculum for the teachers so the students can really hone in these skills. This was extra beneficial for the hostel girls because when they start applying to college they can see that coding is an option for a career path.
This was my second favorite activity. Seeing everyone’s faces after completing their task really solidified my desire to do non profit work.

Teachers learning how to code
5th standard boys listening to instructions
It was endearing seeing one of the teachers excited in making her cat move, I saw her dancing a little bit and she was very flustered when I caught her. We are thinking of expanding coding for next year, possibly having a coding day and creating some curriculum for the teachers so the students can really hone in these skills. This was extra beneficial for the hostel girls because when they start applying to college they can see that coding is an option for a career path.
This was my second favorite activity. Seeing everyone’s faces after completing their task really solidified my desire to do non profit work.
Teachers learning how to code
Comments
Post a Comment