Skip to main content

From Zambia: What does it mean to be white female and a college student from California in Lusaka?

Since school doesn’t start until Monday, we have had this week to adjust, catch up on sleep and absorb as much of the Zambian culture as possible. One of my favorite professors suggested that I do a couple of blog posts perspective themed, and I am planning on following through with that. What I want to give you guys in this one is the perspective of a white, female college student from California experiencing her first couple days in Lusaka, I wonder who that may be…


Being here so far has caused such a whirlwind of emotions; excited, happy, sad, disheartened, tired, hopeful… There are many things that are so “Africa”, people carrying things on their head, women walking with babies wrapped in colorful cloth on their backs, pick up games of soccer everywhere, trees that may or may not be Baobab trees. However, there are also things that have stood out that I was not necessarily expecting. It is so striking to me is that there is no apparent middle class. In Lusaka, especially around where I am staying and working, you are either incredibly wealthy, or you have nothing. There is no apparent bridge between these two classes, as you can see in the pictures below, the compounds are where the people stuck in poverty stay, and the giant electric fences house the mansions that the upper class live in. I am living on a very affluent school’s campus that has two swimming pools, a giant performing theater, and is gated and guarded 24/7. Five minutes down the road is Bauleni, the compound that I am working in that houses 20,000 people. It has been such an adjustment, and to be honest I am still adjusting, to spend time with these amazing people who will maybe go for days without eating, and then come back to where I am staying and have the choice to eat at the house or go to the cafeteria.


It is also intriguing to me how easy it is for the upper class to not see the poverty at all. Compounds are set back from the road, and driving by then entrance you would never know that one street would lead to massive amounts of shacks and people. The pictures below can give you somewhat of a taste of the contrast that is found in this place.
I know this has been somewhat of a dark post, but there has been so much light too. Yesterday we went to Kambala market, this MASSIVE outdoor market which was so colorful, and today we are going to a wedding, wooo!!!! My next post will just be pictures!!
Emma Shandy, UC Davis Human development undergraduate student

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the UC Davis Blum Center Blog!

Here you will find updates on our organization, and blog posts written by each of our Blum Fellows about their experiences abroad. Make sure to check out our website at blumcenter.ucdavis.edu, and like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UCDavisBlumCenter to get regular updates and see our upcoming events.

Manufacturing in Phnom Penh by Purva Juvekar

During winter and spring quarter 2017, my teammates and I (Team WASHOut) designed a sanitation station using a Biosand Filter. This was our effort towards providing clean water to students in floating schools on the Tonle Sap lake. We were provided with the opportunity to go to Cambodia and implement our project in person through the Blum grant, and we worked with Wetlands Work!, our clients for the senior design class. Figure 1 Rendering of Sanitation Station   We spent our time at UC Davis designing the station – sketches, CAD models, renderings, dimensions, engineering analysis and testing. We made a prototype in Davis, which we showed during the Senior Design Showcase in June, to test flow rates and water quality standards. The next step was to take the design to Phnom Penh and manufacture it there. We got to work as soon as we got there. My teammate and I were introduced to people on the WW! team who could help with translation, and we began scouting the city to fin...

Pedaling for Water in Kisumu: Closing, By Abe McKay

Pedaling for Water in Kisumu: Closing (3 of 3) 2017.09.12 In my second week in Kenya, I was back to visiting farmers, both with Vibrant Village and through other connections. However, I receive my biggest surprize in between site visits. I was walking with Ernest Kulali, a field officer and farmer from Vibrant Village, and he was telling me about the effectiveness of farming techniques. Using traditional methods, Ernest was getting 20kg of maize (corn) in a season from his shamba , his farm . When he switched to using purchased seeds and fertilizer, the same land produced 360 to 540kg of maize. What!? I had him run the numbers by me again, 20kgs → the range of 400kgs. I still didn’t believe it, but Nick the Vibrant Village director later agreed that farmers were seeing that magnitude of increase. Not just doubling their income/food supply, but a twenty-fold return! Further farming modifications will not yield as large a jump, but that sort of scale encouraged me that changing te...