The currency in South Africa is called the South African Rand. On each denomination exists a
different animal. The animals on the rand banknotes are called the Big Five and were coined
under this term due to the difficulty in hunting them. The Big Five consists of the rhino,
elephant, leopard, lion and african buffalo. These can be seen at a game reserve. I was fortunate
enough to go to Umfolozi Game Reserve and see the animals in the Big Five. I’ve been told by
many that it’s very rare to see a leopard.
The landscape in South Africa is one for the books. Durban, South Africa is a coastal city on the
eastern side of the country. It’s beautifully located between the beach and the mountains. On my
trip, I was able to go to the Drakensberg mountains, where I saw ancient old cave paintings. I
was informed that these paintings could be as old as 5,000 years.
I was truly in awe with all the beauty that surrounds Durban. It was an amazing experience to be
able to visit a beautiful country as well as research at the Pollution Research Group. I met
students who come from all over the world, all wanting to work on improving sanitation. To
meet people from different backgrounds but with a common purpose, gave me a global
perspective on the sanitation challenge. This was truly a great experience and I hope to continue
to partner on other sanitation related projects.
 |
| Photo 8. A family of rhinos |
 |
| Photo 9. Cave paintings at Drakensberg |
 |
| Photo 10. Me hiking a trail in Drakensberg Mountains |
Comments
Post a Comment