Pedaling for Water in Kisumu: Beginning (1 of
3)
2017.08.20
Karibu - Swahili for “welcome”
Idea:
A low-cost irrigation pump for small-scale
farmers that is powered by a bicycle.
Bike
powered irrigation pump design reconstructed at UC Davis
Motivation:
“In the dry season, it’s bad. There is no
food.” “Most people, we wait for the rain.”
-Jared, a Nairobi Uber Driver
During a layover in Nairobi, I talked with a
driver, Jared, that summed up much of the motivation for this bike pump
project. Jared wanted to buy a irrigation pump so that he and his family could
have food and sell food during the dry season. Of the poor households in
Africa, most (80%) are farmers, and very few irrigate their land (only 4% of
sub-Saharan farmland). Gasoline and solar pumps are too expensive for most
people, so Jared is saving up.
Other organizations successfully make
irrigation pumps more accessible through a cheaper “treadle” design that works
like stair-master exercise machines. My project is to take pumps a step farther
using bicycles. By using a farmer’s existing bicycle as a base, we hope to make
a pump more efficient, easier to transport, and lower cost than the treadle
design.
Learning Lessons at the Beginning:
I heard about a group of students that designed
a small wind turbine out of soda cans. They traveled to a town in Central
America to teach their technique only to learn that all of the coke in the area
was sold in glass bottles.
I’m trying to avoid a “glass bottle”
situation, so instead of at the end, this trip to Kenya is near the beginning
of my time working on the irrigation pump. I have recreated a bike-irrigation
pump design to field-test, but the main goal of this trip is to learn context.
What type of fasteners and hoses are available in the local Kenyan stores? Out
on a farm, is it easier to find a welder or someone that can drill precise
holes? And stay tuned for important questions that I don’t even know enough to
ask yet.
Arrival:
I’m staying in a guest house that also is a
hub for a bike touring group and occasionally a pasture for the guard’s cows.
Turns out my host here also is working with a Kisumu-based solar pump company,
Futurepump, to make their setup easier to carry on bicycles. Sounds like I’m in
the right place.
Bikeventures
Guesthouse
Tidits:
A rule of thumb I heard is venomous snakes
have slit pupils, and non-venomous have round pupils. The black mamba I saw (in
an exhibit, don’t worry) had round pupils and was not black.
Black Mamba is also the name of the low-cost
bicycle that most people ride in Kisumu.
A
tortoise and me during a layover in Nairobi
Black
Mamba bicycles, recognizable by their double top-tube frames




Comments
Post a Comment