While
households struggle to achieve an adequate diet, their sole focus on cash crops
at the expense of food security continues to exacerbate the problem. The yam is
a crop that easily accomplishes a high nutritional profile while growing well
with cash crops, but again the use of pesticides makes traditional
intercropping impossible.
As I return
to the field I will be looking with farmers at economic and nutritional value
of yams. While yams have traditionally grow wild without needing cultivation,
the emergence of commercialization necessitates a new paradigm in yam
production. I will be discussing and exploring with farmers techniques for the
planting, harvesting, and post-harvest handling. I look forward to developing a
demonstration of this process, as well as helping farmers to achieve an
increased level of food security and poverty reduction in their homes and for
the community at large through a return to cocoyams that needs neither capital
input nor new planting material.
![]() |
| Uncultivated yam with low yield |
![]() |
| A mature cocoyam plant |




Comments
Post a Comment